Hamstring/Knee/Calf Shotgun Rehab Workout
Week 1: Start with 1 round of exercises on day 1, build to 3 rounds as tolerated. Perform daily, or if you experience significant muscle soreness, every other day. Not all exercises agree with everyone, even if they are good exercises. If you feel that one or more of the exercises on the list does not agree with you, please skip it and perform the ones that agree with you.
Week 2: If pain is decreasing and walking is tolerable after 1 week 1, perform exercises every other day during week 2 and add in some gentle low impact cardio (walking/hiking, biking, swimming, Nordic skiing, elliptical trainer, rowing) slowly.
Week 3: If returning to high impact activity is a goal, continue exercises every other day and add in cycles of walk/running as tolerated. Begin with cycles of walk 3 minutes/slow jog 1 minute. Gradually increase ratio of running to walking as symptoms dictate. Mild muscle soreness is expected. If sharp pain occurs, return to week 2 protocol until sharp pain resolves for 1 week.
When painfree other than mild muscle soreness for 1 week, gradually add in high impact activity—running, sprinting, jumping, tennis, downhill skiing—starting at a maximum of 70% effort level for short periods. If symptoms recur, return to your last level of painfree activity and continue until symptoms resolve before moving up to the next level.
- Gentle stretching/mobility warm up for 3- 5 minutes
- 10 squats
- 10 forward lunges, each leg
- 10 forward step ups on a stair, each leg
- 10 forward touch downs on a stair, each leg (balance on one leg, bend knee and just touch opposite toe or sole of foot down on the floor, keeping weight on balancing leg)
- 10 Romanian deadlifts, no weight. **Watch video under “exercises” on the website for instructions, DO NOT PERFORM if you experience back or neck pain while performing these.
- 10 single leg deadlifts each leg.